the five stages of stupid

A cancer diagnosis will, at least, get your attention, not unlike like a smack upside the head with a brick. If you could visualize the feeling, you'd see yourself as one of those cartoon characters who gets run over by a steamroller, flattened to a quarter-inch thick on the blacktop. But, toons have an easier time peeling themselves back up to carry on with the show.


People normally react with denial, bargaining, anger, sadness and, finally, acceptance. These are the classic five stages of grief, coined in 1969 by Elisabeth Kubler-Ross in her book, On Death and Dying. They occur in any loss.

You grieve at the death of a loved one, the end of a relationship and the loss of physical possessions, such as having your house destroyed by fire or your Harley Davidson stolen. And, the stages of grief are set in motion with the diagnosis of a potentially fatal disease.

I was lucky, I immediately went into shock and remained that way (with no small amount of help from Ativan and morphine), until I could work through the five stages of grief in a calm and reasonable manner. Here's how it went: 

Denial - Oh, but I can't have cancer, not me. Okay, that's just inane. You have cancer and you know it, so move on to the next stage. 

Bargaining - If I survive this, if I can only get better, I promise I will...
Promise what? Give up eating chocolate? Give up wearing wool socks? Dance around a fire naked while howling at the moon? Don't be silly. Nobody cares. Nobody wants to make a deal. Nobody can make a deal. You have cancer. 

Anger - I'm mad that I have cancer, that it wasn't diagnosed sooner, that I've been unable to work, that I may have to have surgery and chemo, that I may be sick for a long time, that I may die. I'm mad at the medical profession, mad at everyone who doesn't have cancer, mad at myself and mad at the world. I'm mad at cigarettes, mad at the pollution in the mill-town where I grew up, mad at the Vancouver smog that I breathed for ten years and mad at the additives in food. There now, doesn't that feel better? No? Well, sorry, it's one of the stages and you have to go through it. Don't get mad at me, I didn't write the damned book!

Sadness - This is the one that I got stuck at for about two weeks, until I realized that I had absolutely nothing to be sad about. Worst-case scenario, I die. Well, I was going to die anyway, and everyone has to die of something. Would I be happier if I was to be murdered by a crazed psychopath? How 'bout being killed in a horrible car crash, is that cheerier? Struck dead by a piece of falling space debris? There really doesn't seem to be a happy way to die. There's not an app for that.

Acceptance - I have cancer, but cancer isn't the problem. The problem is the realization that I'm not going to live forever, that I may not be here next year, or the year after, or ten years from now. I'm hardly worried about burning in hell after death, or worried about being subjected to harp music and dead relatives for eternity (although some of those dudes in the Philadelphia Cream Cheese commercials are kinda hot). I know that some people will miss me, and that I'll be missing out on life but, really, I'll be dead. I will have no perception of sorrow. I simply won't be here. 

So, let's move on, shall we? I feel reasonably well and there's no reason why I can't get as much pleasure from the things I enjoy as I did a year ago. Later this week, I need to get my truck insured so I can go for coffee at the Java Docks, head out on a sunny day to take pictures and go for lunch with a friend at Garden Bay Pub. Spring is just about here, so I can start planning my garden. My Pender Harbour website needs updating, and I'm itching to go back to work at the Village Vintner-- I seriously need to make some money. 

And, as weird as it sounds, cancer is my new hobby, a damned interesting one. I look forward to spending time on it, learning as much about it as I can.

9 comments:

  1. HUGS <3 and healing thoughts and prayers! Very well written blog especially identify with the 5 stages of grief! Let me know if there is anything I can help out with! Duane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well written! Cancer isn't a fun partner to dance with, I have had that dance. Set yourself up to lead and become a fighter. You think one day at a time and you become stronger. It will change how you see your world, grass isn't just green,the sky isn't just blue and people aren't just people anymore. Everything changes... If there is anything I can do let me know, Virginia.
    Bird on the Moon

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are a very strong person with a positive outlook Myrtle. Spring is here and time to be out in the garden with Mother Earth and enjoy whatever life has to give.

    Blessings,
    Vicky Forest

    ReplyDelete
  4. I suspect the five stages are "onion like" having deeper layers which will peel back over the coming months.

    I've been deeply immursed in similiar process for entirely different reasons for the past nine months. Long enough for a birthing of renewal. I get glimpses of it, tender little green spriggs of hope. I need to find a watering can and a place in my heart less barren.

    Thanks for the connection.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good blog, Myrt...CA's a bastard, no doubt about it. Ya just gotta keep fighting. All the best.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh girl. Hang in there. I started my journey for the 20th time on quitting smoking. I started the journey with the new drug Champix in Novemeber and I have not had a smoke since Jan 1....Each day is beter. The five stages of stupid can be used for starting to smoke....cause smoking is stupid. Plain and simple. I am not sure as to why I started cause it was just far to long ago but all I knew that before I turned 45, smoking was not going to be in my next chapter. I worry about cancer and all I know is that for my kids, I quit....I ran out of reasons to explain to them why I smoked....and my answers to them were self explanatory....I dont know why Mommy smokes....just because....Hugs to you girl. You have a great positive outlook on life and with that positive energy you can ovecome....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Myrt, you are a truly amazing lady

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tim McGraw's "Live Like You were dying"

    "He said I was in my early forties, with a lot of life before me,
    When a moment came that stopped me on a dime.
    I spent most of the next days, looking at the x-rays,
    Talking bout' the options and talking bout' time,sweet time....
    I asked him when it sank in, that this might really be the real end -
    How's it hit 'cha when you get that kind of news?
    Man what did ya do?
    He said

    I went skydiving
    I went rocky mountain climbing
    I went two point seven seconds on a bull named Fu Man Chu
    And I loved deeper
    And I spoke sweeter
    And I gave forgiveness I'd been denyin'
    And he said some day I hope you get the chance
    To live like you were dyin'

    He said I was finally the husband, that most the time I wasn't
    And I became a friend, a friend would like to have
    And all of a sudden goin' fishin, wasn't such an imposition
    And I went three times that year I lost my dad
    Well I finally read the good book, and I took a good long hard look
    At what I'd do if I could do it all again
    And then...

    I went skydiving
    I went rocky mountain climbing
    I went two point seven seconds on a bull named Fu Man Shu
    And I loved deeper
    And I spoke sweeter
    And I gave forgiveness I'd been denyin'
    And he said some day I hope you get the chance
    To live like you were dyin'

    Like tomorrow was the end
    And ya got eternity to think about what'd you do with it
    What should you do with it?
    What can I do with it?
    What would I do with it?

    Skydiving
    I went rocky mountain climbing
    I went two point seven seconds on a bull named Fu Man Chu
    And man I loved deeper
    And I spoke sweeter
    And I watched an eagle as it was flyin'
    And he said some day I hope you get the chance
    To live like you were dyin' "

    Deb

    Watch the Eagles and Ride the Bulls, Myrtle :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey there...I have become your ultimate fan..truly,..i would be only happy to be of whatever possible assistance to you...and you cannot imagine the strength I am deriving from you at the moment...i wish i were made of sterner stuff just as you are...you rock!

    ReplyDelete